Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Burning Suit

We had a momentous occasion at the end of April. Bartley was finally able to get a new suit.=) The kids and I have been looking forward to this for YEARS now. Yeah Bartley!

While he was getting fitted for his new suit, he asked me what we were going to do with his old suit now that he had a new one. I told him "burn it." (I have HATED it for years) He laughed, but I am not sure he truly believed me.

The Monday after he picked up his suit, we went to Grandma JaNae's and used her fire pit, to BURN the suit! Bartley saw how serious I was when I doused the suit in lighter fluid. =)

Here are a few pic's of the BIG occasion....
The last moments in the suit.....
The "smoking" jacket....
The actual burning of the suit.

The kids and I applauded when the flames totally engulfed the suit. Bartley seemed a little sad, but only a little. He has worn the suit for so long, he has lots of memories....Maggey and Abbey were blessed, Grandma and Grandpa B's funerals, called to the Bishopbric, ordained a High Priest. Lot's of weddings, nieces, nephews, sister in law's, brother in law's.....a lot.(I think he has had it for over 9 years....)It was good to say goodbye, we did sing a few bars of "Taps". Thanks to Ross and JaNae for the use of their fire pit for our little memorial service.

The kids have mentioned that this was one of the best Family Home Evening Activities we have ever had.=)

Pictures of the new suit....soon to follow.

4 comments:

Kenna said...

Ha ha Jake has some clothes I think I'd like to burn too! I'm sure that FHE will be one to always remember:)
I didn't know Abbey's b-day was May 17th...that is our Gracie's b-day as well our anniversary...what a good day:)

Becca said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of the new suit. I remember missionaries used to burn their suits as a sign they were almost done with thier missions.

megan ann. said...

haha, you know it! I'm definitely random. this is in reply to the comment on my wall :). that's why i put that "queen of random" thing on there of course! cause i am :D

Peggy Merrell said...

That is hilarious, Jennifer! I laughed and laughed over the kids being so excited about the burning suit. Sounds like he got a lot of mileage out of it, though, huh? So funny!